Rutabaga Puree with Sage Brown Butter
INGREDIENTS: Serves 6-8
- 3 rutabagas, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped sage
- 2 tablespoons butter
For the butter:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 7-8 sage leaves
- Place rutabagas in a large stock pot; cover with chicken stock and salt. Bring to a boil over medium high heat; reduce heat. Cover, and cook for 15-20 minutes or until rutabagas are tender and easily pierced with a fork. Remove from heat.
- Prepare the brown butter: Melt cup butter in a saute pan and cook until brown in color. Add in garlic and sage leaves. Cook until garlic is fragrant and sage has slightly wilted, about 45 seconds.
- Transfer cooked rutabagas to a food processor and add remaining ingredients. Puree until smooth and creamy. Transfer contents of food processor to a dish and pour sage butter over puree just before serving. Garnish with additional sage leaves.
–Recipes by Trace Barnett | Photos by James Acomb
This story appears in Birmingham magazine’s November 2017 issue. Subscribe today!